Thursday, March 6, 2014

Quick Ratio Sterring Box Installed

Installed the new steering box last night and took it for a test drive. The steering is definitely heavier than before. It was already heavier than stock because of the Tubular A-Arms and 4.5 deg of Caster but I'm not sure if its the (possibly) larger T-Bar in the Cardone gear or the power steering pump not keeping up. The turning is smooth and I don't have any jittering in the wheel. But it is heavy and I still have very little return to center... maybe a little more pressure will assist the box? The good news is no leaks!

I'm going to take it for a longer drive today but will likely pull the pump tonight and do the Power Steering Pump mod to increase the pump pressure.

Good thing I painted it silver of you might not see it.
Random thoughts so far:
(1) I am really glad I pulled the inner fender well. I still have a little rubbing on the header from steering coupler... so I'm pulling the header again tonight to give it a little more "beating". With the fender well out this is easy. Removing the  inner fender well was time well spent!

(2) The Lares #200 coupler is really nice (and less expensive than the Dorman 31011). I bought the Lares from RockAuto for $25 shipped, the Dorman was $65 from O'reilly. The Lares uses a polyurethane disc where the Dorman looks to have a more traditional rag joint. The Lares has shoulder bolts and aircraft lock nuts where the Dorman uses regular bolts and split lock washers. IMHO overall the Lares is a nicer rag joint / coupler than the Dorman.

No comments:

Post a Comment